WHAT INFERTILITY REALLY LOOKS LIKE
Well, while I am still on the beginning of my journey, I can tell you that you that YOU ARE NOT ALONE! After 13 years of working with women and couples experiencing infertility, one of the most common statements I have heard people say is that they feel alone and that no one can understand them.
I was so THRILLED to read Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook post last week! He, like many others, including Kim Kardashian and Kanye West (all judgement aside ;)) are bringing a voice to all of you. They are also echoing my statement that YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
You might be saying, “Come on Colette, have you not read the latest tabloids? People are having their first babies at the age of 45. Clearly, IT’S ME!” Unfortunately, many of the messages we see throughout the media try to reinforce that negative voice inside your head that can’t stop blaming yourself for not being able to get pregnant.
But here are the facts:
- 1 in 6 couples in Canada experience infertility (this number has doubled since the 1980s)
- 90 000 000 couples are experiencing infertility around the world
- About 30% of pregnancies result in miscarriage
- 20% chance of becoming pregnant if there are no fertility factors
- 40% of fertility problems can be attributed in male factors
While I wish these stats would give you some peace of mind, my experience tells me that it won’t. But perhaps taking CONTROL BACK over your lives will. Here are some suggestions:
- See a doctor if you have been trying to conceive naturally for one year and you are UNDER the age of 35.
- See a doctor if you have been trying to conceive naturally for 6 months and you are OVER the age of 35.
- Learn ways to better manage stress.
- Consider signing up for my course on “Practical Strategies to Manage Infertility”.
- Find someone who you can talk with openly or book a free consultation with me.
As I wrap up my first blog, I want to remind you that YOU ARE NOT ALONE and YOU CAN REGAIN CONTROL IN YOUR LIFE.
Follow my blog writing journey as I share tips with you that will help you to navigate through your infertility journey.